This year Walt Disney World Resort is celebrating its 40th anniversary and D23 is hosting a two-day event that will take place May 14 and May 15 called Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th. This event is not to be missed and is only available to D23 members: Disney’s Official Fan Club. The event starts from parcels of land in Central Florida when they were first purchased in the 1960’s through the opening of EPCOT Center in 1982. It takes you on a journey of how this wonderful World became what it is today.
Destination D: WDW 40th Event DetailsDate: May 14 & May 15, 2011 Location: Fantasia Ballroom, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida Registration: Open Friday, May 13 from noon – 9 p.m. Open Saturday, May 14 at 8 a.m. Registration will be located at the East Registration Counter in the Fantasia Lobby of Disney’s Contemporary Resort Tickets: Available Thursday, February 24, at 10 am PST (1 pm EST). Visit to order tickets. Cost: $175 per person; $215 for ticket plus registration of one Great Disney Scavenger Hunt team (between two and four people)
- Appearances by notable Disney Legends & Imagineers Marty Sklar, Bob Gurr, Jack Lindquist, Eric Jacobson, Tony Baxter, Charlie Ridgway and Ron Logan, in addition to Debra Browne, the 1971 Walt Disney World Ambassador.
- A special exhibit from the Walt Disney Archives featuring rare items and artifacts showing the creation and evolution of Walt Disney World Resort.
- A multitude of fantastic presentations covering topics such as bizarre and wacky moments in Walt Disney World’s past, Walt’s vision for EPCOT, and even a peek at the Walt Disney World that never was!
- Rare autograph session with Disney Legends and authors.
- An enchanting concert, Magic Journeys: A Flight of Fancy through 40 Years of Walt Disney World Musical Memories featuring Disney Legend and Academy Award®-winner Richard M. Sherman.