While most of us our still in the hot, summer mode of the season, Epcot International Food and Wine Festival has us thinking Fall thoughts. One stand-by favorite of the Festival is this Canadian Cheddar Soup from Le Cellier. Not only can you find this dish at Epcot International Food and Wine Festival but also at it’s OG space Le Cellier restaurant in the Canada Pavilion in World Showcase at Epcot. This soup is a rich, creamy wonder that I could eat over and over again. The fact that it has bacon makes it even more crave worthy. This recipe for Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup is easy and will have you transported to Epcot in no time.
Yes, it is difficult to think of devouring this hot, cheesy, bacon-y soup in the Florida heat but now you can too at home, in the coolness of air conditioning. “Delish Loves Disney” is an insider’s guide to the World’s Most Magical Treats. 96 pages of Disney Deliciousness!
It is full of recipes from all the Disney Parks and I have been pouring over page after page bookmarking what to make next! If you would like a copy of this Delish Loves Disney, you can click here to purchase on Amazon.
Now onwards to the Canadian Cheddar Soup recipe!
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup Le Cellier
½ pound of bacon cut into ½ inch pieces
1 medium red onion cut into ¼ inch pieces
3 celery stalks cut into ¼ inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound of white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup pale ale, room temperatureChopped scallions or chives, for garnish
Cooked Bacon Bits, for garnish
1. Cook the bacon, stirring over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, in a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven.
2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter; cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in the pale ale. If the soup is too thick, add some warm milk.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives and bacon.
Thank you to Walt Disney World for gifting me a copy of “Delish Loves Disney”. As always, all opinions are my own.