This creamy, hearty soup originates at the Carnation Café located on Main Street, USA in Disneyland. Making this soup at home reminds me of the beautiful Victorian restaurant with ornate details and the people walking by on the street. It gives a warm, down home feeling. The boys loved it and dared to say that they preferred it over Le Cellier’s Cheddar Cheese Soup. With that I know this will be in rotation with our preferred recipes.
Here we go!
In a large stockpot over medium heat, brown the bacon. Then remove & save for later.
In the leftover bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent.
Add the potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stir occasionally.
Add the flour and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
Add half of the bacon back in and the chicken stock. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer for 25 minutes.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3/4 cup diced celery
4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 medium red potatoes, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 cups heavy whipping cream
Optional Garnishes: Chives, bacon, shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, brown the bacon until it’s crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, save half for garnish. In the leftover bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add in potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness. You may need to add more water or stock. Soup should be creamy.
- Season to taste, and garnish with any toppings you wish. Serve.