Today we start off our culinary adventure for the 365 In Home Dining Challenge in Canada, okay Epcot’s version of Canada. I decided to cook LeCellier’s Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. Not only is this one of my family’s favorite Disney recipes it also reminds us of so many fulfilling, fun meals we had at LeCellier. This soup is a rich, creamy wonder that I could eat over and over again. The fact that it has bacon makes it even more crave worthy.
Here we go…
Start by browning the bacon over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. You can use a 4-5 quart Dutch oven or stock pot.
Add in the red onion, celery, and butter. Cook and stir until the onion has softened for about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
Whisk in the chicken stock and then bring to a boil for about a minute.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Keep stirring constantly.
Add in the milk and continue simmering for 15 minutes. Do NOT boil after you add in the milk.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese slowly. Add the Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until the cheese has melted and the soup is a smooth consistency.
Add the Pale Ale. If the soup is too thick add in warm milk.
Serve the soup hot and garnish with chopped scallions or chives.
Le Cellier Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ pound of bacon cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 medium red onion cut into ¼ inch pieces
3 celery ribs cut into ¼ inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound of grated white cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup pale ale, room temperature
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. Cook the bacon, stirring over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, in a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven.
2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter; cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in the pale ale. If the soup is too thick, add some warm milk.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.