Diao Yu Tai Cucumber Salad
2 Kirby cucumbers, about 4 to 5 inches long
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 dried red Sichuan peppers
1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of sugar
- Thoroughly wash unpeeled cucumbers and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toss cucumbers with salt in a colander. Place colander over bowl and let stand 20 minutes. Drain cucumbers and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in wok over medium-low heat. Add peppers and stir fry until pepper darkens to deeper red, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar; bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour mixture over drained cucumbers in a medium glass bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
This recipe was featured on the Disney Parks Blog by Pam Brandon. I love this cucumber salad. It has the right amount of sweetness counteracted with the right amount of spice from the peppers. It is a great side dish to have on a hot summer day. Enjoy!