Citricos is located in the Grand Floridian at the Walt Disney World Resort. It amplifies the cuisine of southern Europe and with the Mediterranean décor you feel like you have been swept away into the old world of cooking. This recipe reminds me of one of my trips to Paris. The Parisian feel of this dish, so simple and elegant. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everyone enjoyed this dish, especially my mom. She is one of my best cooking teachers. If you love onions, blue cheese and European style cuisine this recipe is for you.
Here we go!
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bay leaf. Saute for 10 to 15 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Remove and let cool.
In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, cream, milk and garlic. Season with salt and white pepper and set aside.
Bake pie crust at 375 for 5 minutes, remove from oven and add onions evenly.
Add egg mixture evenly over the onions.
Add blue cheese to the top and bake accordingly.
Citricos Onion Tart
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons milk
1 garlic clove, minced
Coarse salt and white pepper, to taste
1 package refrigerated pie dough
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 3 1/2 tart pans (if making individual tarts)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bay leaf. Saute for 10 to 15 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Remove and let cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, cream, milk and garlic. Season with salt and white pepper and set aside.
4. If baking individual tarts roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick. Using a cookie cutter cut out 4 inch circles and place into tart pans. If you are making a full sized tart place as necessary.
5. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork and bake the shell for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and add the onions into the tart. Spread out evenly. Increase the oven to 400 degrees.
7. Spoon in the egg mixture over the onions and spread evenly.
8. Top with 2 tablespoons of blue cheese.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 min for individual tarts and 25-30 for one large tart.